Thursday 15 March 2018

We plant seeds in spring

Hello again!


Spring is coming, and today I would like to show you my plants mind map ( click here to see it ). This time, I have used a tool called Creately . Under the mind map you will see this symbol đź”—. It lets you see all the videos, games and images I have linked to it.

When working with long topics in science, I think that mind maps are really useful for the students to have a general idea about the topic they are going to work on. Moreover, it allows the students to organise their ideas when studying at the same time they are connecting different concepts and key words. 

But, how does Creately work? Well,after creating your own account you can choose from a variety of templates to start with. In my case, I started from the beginning without any template. 

On the left you will find all the objects, shapes and forms you can include in your mind map (circles, stars, arrows...) and on the top you have the different features to work with such as different lines, images, changing the colours and thickness of the different elements...etc. It is very intuitive but if you find it difficult, at the very beginning they provide you with a tutorial with some first steps. 

What I really liked about the tool is that you can link everything you have on your mind map with different web pages. For example in my case, if you click on Games or on the different photographs, you will see different videos, games and images I have selected for my students. I think it is a great tool even for the students to create their own mind maps. However, one more time I find it difficult for students who are not in 4th, 5th or 6th grade. Too much information and features to control. 

I have to confess that at the beginning I thought about changing the tool because I did not know how to start working with it. But as I told you, the tutorial is really helpful. 

When searching different tools to create mind maps, you will find a lot. But in my search, most of the web pages I found were not free or they did not allow you to upload images into your map. 

Anyway, with this tool I have learnt how to improve my skills as a teacher when organising contents, and I think that from now on, I will start all my lessons by showing my students a mind map for them to be totally informed. 

See you next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment